Saturday, August 21, 2010

The bowls below are either segmented pieces, or are glue up sections.

The bowl with the spheres was my very first bowl that I made for my wife, and the spheres are made of the scrap cutoffs from trimming the block into a circle on a band saw. The pale wood is Red Oak, and the reddish stripes are African Padauk.


The bowl below is Maple and Bubinga, it was the first deep form I have ever made, and I was super excited while making it and learned that anything deeper will need some type of tools that are designed to go farther over the tool rest that I have with me. It will be going to a school fundraiser, hopefully it will be well received!


The teacup and saucer and spoon below, is a set I have made to go to another auction. This auction was to help benefit the Lost Girls of Sudan, my wife's Great-Aunt was in charge of the Sisters of Mercy at the Omaha School, and I found out that some number of the sisters she worked with, were bidding themselves out of it, so they could be the one to win it - and then give it to her; she has just recently retired, and i don't yet know of anyone who would say she by-far, deserves the world. As I have learned, the Sisters of Mercy have a creed of sharing a cup of tea; I don't know the whole story, but what I do know, was the inspiration to make this project. And, I learned a whole world while working on it. I had not been of the news enough to really know anything of the Lost Boys of Sudan, nor the Lost Girls of Sudan. The stories I came across while researching them, broke my heart.




The links below, are very informative websites that I came across, and often look to for information on woods and lathe techniques that I don't know much about.
http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/padauk/
http://woodtreks.com/

4 comments:

  1. Hey Bruddah - those are absolutely incredible! I'm so proud of you, and glad Amy has set up a way for you to share what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're beautiful! What a lovely gift for your wife. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How come you can post links? I have a TERRIBLE time trying to post my stupid links. This is NOT FAIR.
    Your Wife

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bowls are gorgeous. Anyone would want to own one.

    ReplyDelete